Saturday, November 23, 2013

Lacan: Lack, Separation, and Addiction

A quote from ``Lacan and Addiction: An Anthology,'' a collection of articles edited by Y.G. Baldwin, K.R. Malone, and T. Svolos, that I am browsing on Amazon [Link]:
When Lacanians refer to the Phallic order, they are referring to the profound effects of castration and lack on the subject. The Lacanian notion of castration and the desire of the Other is tied to the subject's assumption of lack; it is a matter of separation, … Once a person enters the symbolic world, a world of symbols, they incur a loss, a lack in being. This loss exists in tandem with a lack in the Other (which in turn is covered over by drugs, ideologies, the drama of everyday life, scientific knowledge, etc.) 
I am really interested in this book because of (1) My current obsession with Lacan! and (2) My long time obsession with the topic of addiction.

What really draws me to Lacan is that when I read Lacanian psychoanalysts, I can smell Molana (Rumi) and his poems, specially when he talks about separation. More generally, I am beginning to see a close connection between psychoanalysis and mysticism!
Just to drive this point a bit further, here is a quote from another book, ``Kabbalah and Psychoanalysis,'' by Michael Eigen that I am browsing on Amazon [Link]:
It is one of the themes in Kabbalah, and one of the themes in aspects of psychoanalysis, that we are broken. And, at the same time, there is an odd paradox---a kind of paradoxical monism rather than dualism---that we are whole and broken at the same time.
You tell me, if this is not Persian style mysticism, then what is it?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freedom, Religion

A couple of days ago I read a discussion between some friends regarding religion, worship, freedom, and slavery. In Farsi and Arabic, the t...