Sunday, May 20, 2012

Fate

An amazing passage from ``The Wind-up Bird Chronicle,'' by Haruki Murakami.


Most of the time, the power of fate played on like a quiet and monotonous ground bass, coloring only the edges of his life. Rarely was he reminded of its existence. But every once in a while, when the balance would shift (and what controlled the balance he never knew; he could discover no regularity in those shifts), the force would increase, plunging him into a state of near-paralytic resignation. At such times, he had no choice but to abandon everything and give himself up to the flow. He knew from the experience that nothing he could do or think would ever change the situation. Fate would demand its portion, and until it received that portion, it would never go away. He believed this with his whole heart. ---p.509, The Wind-up Bird Chronicle

Sometime, I feel like I am swimming against the flow and that's why every movement, every decision, is so grudgingly difficult for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Clear Shallow Water

I started reading this novel, `` The Driver ,'' by Hart Hanson , and I did not like it much and decided to stop. But then I came ba...