Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Singing and Brain

Happy New Year 2012 to everyone!

Here is an article that I found inspiring:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/12/26/144152193/singing-therapy-helps-stroke-patients-speak-again

I liked the fact that brain "physical" structure seems to respond to training. This shows the critical role of good habits, and learning new ones as we grow. Here is a quote:

Laurel offered the researchers a big bonus – an identical twin sister named Heather. So the researchers could use MRI scans to compare the girls' brains. They focused on a structure on the right side that's important for singing.
Before Laurel began melodic intonation therapy, that structure was smaller in her brain compared to Heather's. That's probably because she hadn't been doing anything with her voice for a whole year.
But during therapy, scans showed that nerve fibers in Laurel's right-sided singing center actually grew – they clearly multiplied and thickened. With therapy, those nerve bundled got bigger than the corresponding region in Heather's brain.
Dr. Gottfried Schlaug, who heads the study, says that's exactly what he was looking for.
"It is the perfect confirmation," he says. "Basically, the hardware of the system really changed to support this increased vocal output."

2 comments:

  1. Lotus jaan, healthy and happy New year with lots of positive things.
    I think sining is great activity, that´s why I was sad when they kicked me out of quire.
    But I wish you (and me as well) lots of happy melodies in this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much Aftab banoo. Your kind words are appreciated, and all the best wishes for you too :)

    ReplyDelete

Clear Shallow Water

I started reading this novel, `` The Driver ,'' by Hart Hanson , and I did not like it much and decided to stop. But then I came ba...