Monday, August 29, 2011

Writing Down the bones

A classic book on writing, ``Writing Down The Bones: Freeing The Writer Within,'' by Natalie Goldberg. Some quotes from the Preface to the 2005 edition:

``I don't think everyone wants to create the great American novel, but we all have a dream of telling our stories---of realizing what we think, feel, and see before we die. Writing is a path to meet ourselves and become intimate.

A long time ago I read Jack Kerouac's essentials for prose. Four of them, in particular, have provided me with heart for the path:
  • Accept loss forever
  • Be submissive to everything, open, listening
  • No fear or shame in the dignity of your experience, language, and knowledge
  • Be in love with your life
''   2005 ed. Preface, Writing Down the Bones

4 comments:

  1. I am not too sure about being submissive to EVERYTHING is a good thing. I always did better when I express my own opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daisy Jaan,
    I think here "submissive" is in the context of being open to sensations, to everything we experience, and let them pass through us and then come out as our own artistic expressions

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Be in love with your life" is the hardest lesson we need to learn...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, it takes time and practice, and so does anything valuable in life :)

    ReplyDelete

Body Intelligence

As Lucy reflected on her outrageous behavior of the night before, the memory only served to draw her upward, like a flower toward the sun...