Friday, August 05, 2011

A Gate at the Stairs

A quote from a novel by Lorrie Moore, ``A Gate at the Stairs.'' It reminds me of the days in the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and the young, innocent-looking, farm boys and girls there :)

``I had come from Dellacrosse Central High, from a small farm on the old Perryville Road, to this university town of Troy, ``the Athens of the Midwest,'' as if from a cave,  ...  The flat green world of my parents' hog-less, horseless farm---its dullness, its flies, its quiet ripped open daily by the fumes and whining of machinery---twisted away and left me with a brilliant city life of books and films and witty friends.  ...  My brain was on fire with Chaucer, Sylvia Plath, Simone de Beauvoir. Twice a week a young professor named Thad, dressed in jeans and a tie, stood before a lecture hall of stunned farm kids like me and spoke thrillingly of Henry James's masturbation of the comma. I was riveted. I had never before seen a man wear jeans with a tie.''  p. 4,   A Gate at the Stairs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Freedom, Religion

A couple of days ago I read a discussion between some friends regarding religion, worship, freedom, and slavery. In Farsi and Arabic, the t...