Sunday, July 17, 2011

Never Let Me Go

I just started reading the novel, ``Never Let Me Go,'' by Kazuo Ishiguro. Here is a passage from the beginning:

`` There have been times over the years when I've tried to leave Hailsham behind, when I've told myself that I shouldn't look back so much. But then there came a point when I just stopped resisting. It had to do with this particular donor I had once, in my third year as a carer; it was his reaction when I mentioned I was from Hailsham. ...

So over the next five or six days, I told him whatever he wanted to know [about Hailsham], and he'd lie there, all hooked up, a gentle smile breaking through. He'd ask me about the big things and the little things.  ...  Sometimes, he'd make me say things over and over; things I'd told him only the day before, he'd ask about like I'd never told him. `Did you have a sport pavilion?' `Which guardian was your special favourite?' At first I thought this was just the drugs, but then I realised his mind was clear enough. What he wanted was not just to hear about Hailsham, but to remember Hailsham, just like it had been his own childhood. He knew he was close to completing and so that's what he was doing: getting me to describe things to him, so they'd really sink in, so that maybe during those sleepless nights, with the drugs and the pain and the exhaustion, the line would blur between what were my memories and what were his. That was when I first understood, really understood, just how lucky we'd been---Tommy, Ruth, me, all the rest of us.'' p. 5, Never Let Me Go

What a powerful picture!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Clear Shallow Water

I started reading this novel, `` The Driver ,'' by Hart Hanson , and I did not like it much and decided to stop. But then I came ba...