Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Actor's Art and Craft

I came across this book on acting by William Esper (apparently a very well know teacher of acting) and Damon DiMarco, ``The Actor's Art and Craft''. Here is a quote from Kafka that I found in the book.
You need not leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen.You need not even listen, simply wait, just learn to become quiet, still, and solitary.The world will freely offer it to you to be unmasked. It has no choice; it will roll in ecstasy at your feet. -- Franz Kafka;   From The Actor's Art and Craft, p. 33

Isn't it amazing? I had no idea Kafka was such an interesting person (I knew his work was brilliant, though.) I am seeing that I am quite ignorant about historic figures: first was Nietzsche and now Kafka :)

2 comments:

  1. I am a librarian. Please don’t laugh and wonder how come a librarian asks a university prof for book recommendation! :) I mostly deal with information side of things (online information and information retrieval) rather than books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting, I would not have guessed it :)
    Let me tell you a funny thing: when I like someone and specially like chatting with her/him, I typically ask all sort of questions just to be with them. So, I am a master of asking questions that I almost know the answer of :) LOL

    ReplyDelete

Clear Shallow Water

I started reading this novel, `` The Driver ,'' by Hart Hanson , and I did not like it much and decided to stop. But then I came ba...