Sunday, March 27, 2011

Walking Practice

A simple walking practice that is motivated by my Kyudo practice. I invented it today when I was walking in Piedmont park and did it for about half an hour.

Preparation: Relax your body, maybe by doing a short meditation, and try to feel your center/hara/tanden as a source of energy.

Practice: Start walking with your gaze directed at a point about 10 feet (3 meters) in front of you. Stay relaxed. The main idea is to induce inner calmness by gently slowing eye movements (your gaze). Initially, it may help to imagine someone walking about 10 feet in front of you and your gaze is connected to his heels.

I learned many different things from this practice today, but  I do not want to bias you in terms of what you should expect from it. I just say that I think this can be a good practice for "letting go", something I have been eagerly looking for the past few months :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Clear Shallow Water

I started reading this novel, `` The Driver ,'' by Hart Hanson , and I did not like it much and decided to stop. But then I came ba...