Sunday, March 20, 2011

Happy Persian New Year

Today (Sunday) at 7:20 p.m. the new Persian year, 1390, starts. This coincides with the start of Spring and Spring equinox. Sima and I are making "samanoo" for the "haft seen". We started half an hour ago (9:45 a.m.) and making "Samanoo" takes 8-12 hours, so hopefully it will be ready for the "tahvile saal" :)

****************************

A few days ago (the day of previous post) Sima told me about her yoga class, and that their teacher talked about "detachment" (of body parts, especially around a joint) that is necessary for achieving some yoga poses, and that the idea also extend to life. The, Sima suggested that I have to attain a degree of detachment from my thoughts. Later on, a few experiences and incidents convinced me that she is right, and I have started practicing "detachment from thoughts". I do not know exactly what it means, but I simply try not to pay attention to my thoughts. I decide on a course of actions, and no matter how I feel or think, I do them.

***************************

The more fascinating and engaging my "thoughts" are, the more damaging and disappointing they become later on!

***************************

Here is a summary of what I have learned this past year. I write them here, and hopefully, I forget about them :)

***

At the center of what drives our lives is an "essence" that has different names in different cultures: Inner peace, belief in God, inner harmony, personal power, divine wisdom, good luck, etc. This essence manifests itself in virtues that are common across most cultures: Patience, balance, harmony, moderation, acceptance of imperfections and vulnerability, beauty, letting go of attachments, love, passion, being present, etc.

***

The questions is, "How can we find, polish, and empower this "essence"?"

Here is my conjecture, which is common sense :) Practice these virtues in small, everyday tasks of life. The "essence" is self-enforcing. That is the beauty of it. You plant its seed, and attend to it, and over time it will develop into a strong tree that will enrich all aspects of your life.

***

There are, probably, many ways to achieve the goal. Here is a suggestion:
Acceptance: We accept imperfections in our life and do not aim at changing everything at once.
Moderation: We adopt a moderate approach to change by choosing a small doable task.
Focus: We put one of the virtues (beauty, balance, presence, detachment, ...) as the focus of our practice (doing the simple task) for a while.
Patience: We let our practice develop and add new virtues and new task over time with moderation and patience.
Detachment: We do not over think the task (and forget about the philosophy behind it). We pay more attention to the process of doing the task rather than the result.

***

When I tried to implement this, I realized that for me it is difficult to choose one task and focus on individual virtues for a while. I have tried to do "every task" this way and keep "many virtues" in mind! So my life has lacked the focus :)


*********************

I wish the new year brings us closer to the essence of our life.

زکوی یار می آید نسیم باد نوروزی . . . از این باد ار مدد خواهی ، چراغ دل برافروزی
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRHGsi2ELYQ 

6 comments:

  1. Making samanoo is a big task; time consuming and hard but very satisfying at the end. I love samanoo. I think it is very delicious. I've never made it myself but have helped my mom couple of times.
    This was a very insightful post. Thank you.
    I also wish you and Sima a very good year ahead of you. I wish to bring you happiness and peace. sal-e noe mobarak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daisy Jaan,
    You are right and I already decided to make "samanoo" next year too, it is a lot fun and I love "samanoo" so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh! the Samanoo part for sure pushed my jealousy button. I love Samanoo but this year, we didnt end up going to Toronto to buy 7 Sin items so I replaced Samanoo with peanut butter.

    Thank you very much for the very insightful posts you share and the thought provoking comments.

    Good luck on "detachment exercise". I know how difficult it can be.

    Sal e no mobarak my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Shadi Jaan, making samanoo is a good meditation, maybe next time you try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Lotus,
    Sale no mobarak.
    I'm glad you enjoyed making Samanoo, it is definitely categorized in the zen genre of the kitchen activities ;)

    Let me thank you for sharing your inner experiences with us, and for all those beautiful music pieces, and your thoughtful comments. I hope next year brings you "fal nikoo, mal vafer, hal khosh"...
    Keep writing so that we can keep reading and enjoying them :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nava Jaan,
    It is nice to see you after so long. I hope everything is fine with you and your new little love :)

    ReplyDelete

Body Intelligence

As Lucy reflected on her outrageous behavior of the night before, the memory only served to draw her upward, like a flower toward the sun...