Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Red American Spirit

Chilly night of the November second,
driving back from my Kyudo practice,
the preliminary results of 2010 midterm elections,
and I turn off the radio.

Though a bit tired,
I change my way
to buy cigarettes
from a small package store.

The Indian owner,
wearing a big smile,
greets me from a corner.

His Latino assistant--
never asked him where he is from--
gives me a pack,
``There is a nice wine tasting,
with dinner,
you should take your wife there."
It is this Thursday night, in downtown Decatur.

``How is the business?"
I ask the owner;
he knows I am Iranian.
``Slow on Tuesdays and Wednesdays,
picks up for the weekends,''
he replies, smiling,
``You know,
you are my only customer
who buys the `Red American Spirit'.''

From the paper rack outside the store,
I take an old `Creative Loafing,'
Sima is waiting at home,
and I have not smoked for a couple of days.

3 comments:

  1. Either this post is relaxing, or your were relax when you wrote it, or I am so relax now!

    Either way, you should go to more weddings ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "we should"...

    the sentence was originally "you should visit us more" :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, your comment is really appreciated dear Shadi, as we had a very memorable, nice time with all of you ... but I am quite surprised by your feelings about this post :) ... even though now I kind of get it when I read it again ... Thanks for arranging the trip and the wonderful time!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Body Intelligence

As Lucy reflected on her outrageous behavior of the night before, the memory only served to draw her upward, like a flower toward the sun...