Sunday, June 13, 2010

Trauma

I am reading the Maureen Canning book, ``Lust, Anger, Love''. Here is an interesting quote
``Trauma is a profound experience that affects all aspects of our lives. In his book, Waking the Tiger, Peter Levine describes trauma's impact and the possibilities it solicits:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trauma is a fact of life. It does not, however, have to be a life sentence. Not only can trauma be healed but also, with appropriate guidance and support, it can be transformative.  `Trauma has the potential to be one of the most significant forces for psychological, social, and spiritual awakening and evolution. How we handle trauma (as individuals, communities, and societies) greatly influences the quality of our lives. It ultimately affects how or even whether we will survive as a species.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
'' (p. 88)
 And here is a Q & A (thanks to dear Shadi): Question: Since you mentioned trauma, I have a question that has occupied my mind for a while. What is the best way to treat trauma, especially if it is related to childhood? (I mean other than medications for symptoms like anxiety or depression) Do you know a practical and accessible reference for someone like me with no training in psychology, etc     Answer:
 Here are a sum of different therapies used to address trauma. one thing I have to be clear about is that trauma never goes away but rather one learns to make sense of it/live with it. so there is trauma therapy with three stages of stabilizing and managing client's reaction (physical symptoms mostly) processing the momeries of/related to trauma and finally re learning/re connecting with life. this a classic approach and commonly uses by psychotherapists. there is ITT, Intensive Trauma Therapy. I have not practiced it but I have started reading about it. You can google it and see what you think of it. Now, EMDR is gaining more and more attention. I personally cant relate to it but I have seen it work for many pp. read about it and see what your level of comfort is. it stands for Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing. the other one EMT. Emotionally Focused Therapy. ... I have seen therapsits using Logotherapy and Adlerian/Individual Psychology to address trauma as well. I am biased when it comes to these two as I am certified in them! well, not only that but I do believe in the philosy behind them. I find them very close to my Zen/Buddhist beliefs. You will be lucky if you can find a therapist who does Eclectic therapy. Meaning you and her/him create a plan on what approaches work for you and your situation and the therapist will use a number of approaches to work with you. But again, that therapist better be damn good in her job as it can get really confusing for the client if not done professionally.

2 comments:

  1. For one thing I wish I did not know English and that is the meaning of Trauma. You see long before my English was ever good enough to fully comprehend the concept of Trauma, I was OK with everything that had happened to me in my life! I guess all of us, I mean kids of my generation living in Tehran, kids of middle class families and everyday lives! For a long time I believed the fact that I was run over buy a bus and the driver said oh leave her alone she will be fine and the doctors said (to my face) you are gonna die in 10 minutes... was just an accident! For a long time I thought the Red siren and my mom pulling us under the stairs and our windows shaking and the sound of bombs in our neighborhood and the smoke ... was all part of growing up because my mom would ask me right away after the White siren, "done with your homework?"... these and thousands worse I thought was part of life and now I am thinking maybe I am traumatized and I just don't know! I know it exists but I guess I would be better off not knowing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Born,

    It is good to hear from you after a long time! I have not been able to read your for a while now. Hope all is well! :)

    I can totally see your point. Facing difficult situations (let's not use trauma ;), different people act and cope differently. Strong, smart people may get even better after surviving a crisis.

    However, sometimes our coping mechanisms do not work effectively (for example, due to genetic vulnerability to depression) and a sequence of difficult events may lead some of us into a position that they need to revise their coping mechanisms and maybe a lot more.

    Anyway, I do not think labeling events as "trauma" has much intrinsic value, especially if I use it as an excuse or a way of attracting attention and so on.

    On the other hand, if in the process of re-discovering our selves we have to face past traumas, then it helps to know other people's experiences and such.

    Be well and strong!

    ReplyDelete

Clear Shallow Water

I started reading this novel, `` The Driver ,'' by Hart Hanson , and I did not like it much and decided to stop. But then I came ba...