Saturday, March 21, 2009

Discovery ?!?

1- I was not feeling well for the past couple of days, starting from Friday morning, TAHVILE SAAL!? Today, while playing tennis, a sudden fear captured me for a few seconds. A free fall kind of feeling. What if all I have done in the past few month in meaningless? What if all the improvements were just the exuberance from a new thing and I end up back to my old self, with all the disappointments, anger, self-hatred and such?

2- A friend introduced me to a good book a couple of weeks ago, "Mastery" by George Leonard. A basic theme is that learning a physical activity develops through stages, starting with a fast improvement, then a slight drop to a plateau (a period of stagnation) and the cycle repeats in the journey to mastery. The concept makes good sense to me in my learning of tennis and kyudo.

3- On my way back from tennis, I suddenly put the two together: What if not only physical learning, but mental and psychological development also involve such cycles? Then I should expect a slight drop to a plateau for a while, until the next phase of improvement! That was sort of a relief :)

7 comments:

  1. very interesting.....makes sense...have to watch for it...fk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life's like that Cuckoo jan; Life is always like that: filled with strange moments of doubt and discovery...

    I believe that if you do not doubt and discover, you are not evolving at all...
    So it's a good sign; perhaps a clue...

    Be happy and have fun in the first days of the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear fk and Parinaz,
    thanks for your comments.
    in my case, i need to let go of worrying and keep doing and practicing ... that seems to be the way to deal with plateaus: to enjoy them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cuckoo,
    You are a thinker and this is not bad at all...I personally don't enjoy reading books by Paulo Coelho, esp the Farsi translations but I received his The Zahir for Christmas and I am really enjoying it. Makes you think about stuff we normally don't...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recommendation Born, I will try the Zahir once I get a chance

    I have read only his Alchemist, and I agree with you, there was something in his book ... like a catchy movie that impresses you instantly but then leaves you with a bad feeling after a while

    ReplyDelete
  6. I go through those self-punishing and brutal self-evaluation periods too.

    Thanks. Reading the excerpt was a relief for me as well.

    The drug that "I" use is the notion that ultimately, there's no 'value' attached to anything: as easy as falling in despair over such negative feelings, I think, are believing in the positive ones. I mean, there's no ultimate value system, right? So all the 'adjectives' are BSs made up by 'my mind'. So let me at least believe in the BS which tastes better, right? :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aidin,

    Everyone has to find his/her own way of dealing with depression, medication included :).
    However, to be honest I am suspicious of methods that only deal with mind and how we treat/interpret things. What I really recommend is a combination of changing habits, (actual drug) medication, and changing mindset all combined.

    ReplyDelete

Body Intelligence

As Lucy reflected on her outrageous behavior of the night before, the memory only served to draw her upward, like a flower toward the sun...