Sunday, January 04, 2009

Forces

When I confront powerful forces, like J.S.Bach's Orchestral Suite No.1, it is not a good idea to give in and immerse myself in its power, something that I have been doing since I remember. In such a confrontation, I must keep a balance, a reasonable distance for a good battle. The fantasy of being "absorbed" by/in anything, is just a fantasy that comes from my ignorance about life and at the best results in a short period of ecstasy. A good battle, on the other hand, polishes and improves toward a long lasting state of wonder.

Glen Gould:

"The purpose of art is not the release of a momentary ejection of adrenaline but rather the gradual, lifelong construction pf a state of wonder and serenity."

2 comments:

  1. Why is that a fantasy? Doesn't that mean the "life" has some rigid and definite nature? Isn't this resistance some sort of deprivation from a joyous state you can be in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to wonder how could I simulate the same kind of concentration/absorption, that I got with a good novel or movie, from work. But then I realized that the whole idea is not much different from getting high with a drug and the crash after ....

    There are many things that I do not necessarily experiment with, like heroin, which induce extreme pleasure ... is that deprivation, sure, but seems reasonable to me

    Life has quite a few rigid rules, in my view, such as physical laws of nature

    ReplyDelete

Body Intelligence

As Lucy reflected on her outrageous behavior of the night before, the memory only served to draw her upward, like a flower toward the sun...