Sunday, November 23, 2008

Kyudo Bird


We see a "Ruby-crowned Kinglet" (picture above) around the Kyudo dojo quite often. It appeared first a few weeks ago and in the beginning used to sit on the arrows that were shot, on/around the targets. Later it became friendlier and now flies and sits around the dojo while we shoot arrows!

Today, at the end of practice I stayed to shoot two more arrows, so dojo was very quiet and peaceful. As I was starting to get prepared I heard the bird from behind. When I was about to knock the arrow, it flew and sat over the arrow. It stayed on my arrow for the whole time (about 1 minute) from raising the bow until I shot the arrow. It was a totally new and amazing experience to see the bird on the arrow (from a 50 cm distance!) the whole time I was going through the shooting rituals ...

PS:
"Ed sensei" is in fact an artist, a superb photographer, and a well-known expert in the Japanese art of "Netsuke". (Relatively rare characteristics for a martial art sensei! Also check this out: http://www.bitokukyudo.org/stonepath.html.) Anyway, he has been interested in knowing what the name of the bird is, so I emailed him the following link (has very nice photos of common birds in Atlanta),
http://davidhodgson.smugmug.com/gallery/2432303_faDpv/6/200789875_FoTki#234073525_X3Jan
suggesting that the bird may be a "Ruby-crowned Kinglet".

Here is his reply:

Hi Reza, What a great web source to find. I agree with your pick. Glad that you had a little private time with the little guy yesterday. How cool is that!!!! Yours in Kyudo, Ed

2 comments:

  1. How are you doing cuckoo jan?
    Seems you are pretty busy with targets and arrows these days!
    :)
    How does it feel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am doing fine, how about you?

    I play tennis and practice Kyudo each once a week, that has been my dose of physical activity for the last month or so :)

    Both Kyudo and tennis are lots of fun, but in Kyudo I am super lucky to have a couple of best in the US as teachers, it makes a lot of difference!

    If you can find a "very good" teacher for an activity (physical or otherwise) that you like, give it a try, it can become an amazing experience ...

    ReplyDelete

Clear Shallow Water

I started reading this novel, `` The Driver ,'' by Hart Hanson , and I did not like it much and decided to stop. But then I came ba...