Monday, September 29, 2008

Evil Angels?



Inspired by this [post], I started thinking about why we perceive children, or more generally, baby animals "innocent", "peaceful", etc. I think the answer is in our evolution: an animal with favorable feeling toward its babies has a better chance of living in larger groups and ultimately become a "social" animal. So we are wired to see youngsters as less of a threat, and this is ultimately translated in our culture into a "peaceful" and innocent vision of babies and kids.

I read "Lord of the Flies", a novel by Golding, when I was 12-13. It is a dark, depressing, classic, for a collection of nice reviews and links see http://www.rbhs.w-cook.k12.il.us/Mancoff/lofcrtwq.htm. Since then, I am less impressed by expressions about children innocence, etc. I like small children, and I typically form a bond with them, at least some of them, but I do not buy that their are any better than adults in a moral sense, more innocent, etc. Children can be as cruel, and more selfish, than grownups ...

3 comments:

  1. And one more thing: in patriarchal societies, children are "commodities"; they translate in later workforce of different kind. So the whole process of baby-making, is sanctioned by the system. And the society has used it's propaganda means, i.e. tradition, to solidify this sanction in the human psyche.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment, I am a bit confused, but I appreciate you writing your thoughts here ...

    ReplyDelete

Body Intelligence

As Lucy reflected on her outrageous behavior of the night before, the memory only served to draw her upward, like a flower toward the sun...