Sunday, August 17, 2008

A (famous?) Quote

I do not know why this quote bothers me:

Great minds discuss ideas
Average minds discuss events
Small minds discuss people

Seems too pretentious, presumptive, and superficial to me ...

More thinking revealed part of the problem, which is basically mis-use of language. "Ideas", "Events", "People" are very different "things" and applying the verb "discuss" hides this aspects. We "love/hate" people, "learn from/experience" events, and "evaluate/examine" ideas. The same act of "discussing" has different dimension when applied to each of the three.

I dislike the quote because my life is consistent with it, in the sense that I have kept busy most dealing with ideas, then events, then people ... Feels like an imbalance

2 comments:

  1. I'd like to read this quote as "Ideas are more important than Events, Events more impotent than People". If they ask me to prioritize, i probably will order them the other way around!

    ReplyDelete

Clear Shallow Water

I started reading this novel, `` The Driver ,'' by Hart Hanson , and I did not like it much and decided to stop. But then I came ba...