Friday, July 20, 2007

Speaking of Faith & more ...

I do not like "Speaking of Faith", nor "Krista Tippett", but I really liked a recent program on "Stress and the Balance Within" which was interview with "Esther Sternberg". It was less B.S. than her (Krista) usual programs. I am also planning on reading her (Esther) book, "The balance within: ... ", she seems to know something!

On a separate note, I heard a very good review of "Richard Yates" book "Revolutionary Road". (Of course, I am planning to read it ... sometime in the future! that's why I put it down here.)

Finally, why people are so frantic about "cancer" ... what about other sources of fatality ... for example, dying from natural causes (aging?!) and accidents. Here are some statistics from "Mind Beautiful", but no one becomes even slightly worried about becoming depressed?!?!!:

  1. Mental illnesses rank first among illnesses that cause disability in the United States, Canada, and Western Europe.
  2. 4 out of 10 leading causes of disability in the U.S. and other developed countries are mental disorders – major depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and obsessive-compulsive disorder (WHO).
  3. It is predicted that by 2010, depression will be the leading cause of disability worldwide, not cancer, heart disease, diabetes, or AIDS (WHO).
I specially like "3"!

PS. See here: [ANAAR - Farsi!] ... MASHALLAH-HEZAR-MASHALLAH how many depressed we have among us [Iranians, I don't know about other nationalities!]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Clear Shallow Water

I started reading this novel, `` The Driver ,'' by Hart Hanson , and I did not like it much and decided to stop. But then I came ba...